1.How were American depicted in these broadsheets?
2.How do you interpret “A Comic Dialogue?” What did catfish represent?
3.These texts are different from official documents. What is the value of these texts? What can you learn about Japanese society in the 19th century when it was facing Western expansion?
Prince Gong memorials-Tsungli Yamen.pdf：
“Prince Gong on the Tongwen College: Three Memorials, 1861, 1865, 1866,”
1) Why opinions that Prince Gong argued in these three memorials? Please list at least two points.
2) What can you learn about Qing court’s attitudes toward west learning at that time?
2. “The Tsungli Yamen to the Chinese Ministers Abroad”
1) What does Exterritoriality mean? Why did Qing government find it problematic?
2) In the section of “most favored Nation,” why did zongli/Tsungli yamen claim that some foreign governments “are not always fair in their interpretation of it?”