Analytical Paper Outline and Thesis Statement. Analytical Paper Outline and Thesis Statement.
I’m trying to study for my English course and I need some help to understand this question.
This week, you will choose a speech to analyze and develop an outline and a thesis statement for your analytical paper.
Using the critical reading skills practiced during this course, you will formulate a thesis statement that presents a unique and specific interpretation of the speech. In order to analyze effectively, you will need to engage in close reading, or reading “between the lines.” This means that you will be choosing representative passages and carefully deconstructing them, highlighting connotations that may not be immediately obvious to fellow readers.
This week’s assignment:
- Review the instructions and requirements for the analytical paper.
- Choose and read ONE of the following options to analyze:
- Develop a thesis statement in which you present your interpretation of the speech.
- Develop an outline using the provided template to help you organize your points to support your thesis statement. Think of it as a skeleton that you will “flesh out” when you write your paper.
- You must write full sentences for the thesis statement, the topic/transition sentences, the passages, and the restatement of thesis.
- Note: The passages will be direct quotes from the text, so include quotation marks and a citation in APA style.
- Do not include any information from research yet. You first want to make sure that you have enough evidence from the text itself to defend your thesis.