1. Introduction to the paper includes a few general statements on the idea of nursing theory being applied to solve problems/issues in nursing practice, regardless of the specialty area of practice. For example, why would one pick a nursing theory to solve a practice problem? Would a grand, middle-range, or practice theory be best? Does the writer have any experience in using nursing theory this way? In addition, a brief one-paragraph summary of a specific nursing theory and information on the sections of the paper are provided. The selected nursing theory can be a grand theory, a middle-range theory, or a practice theory.
2. Description of the problem/issue for which strategies will be developed. The problem to be resolved must be in nursing leadership, nursing education, nursing informatics, or health policy. Scholarly evidence (in the form of a literature review) supporting the issue is included. The problem/issue could be local to ones specific practice setting. For example, the setting might be a nursing unit, a nursing-education program, an informatics department, or a health-policy unit of a consulting firm. The problem/issue needs to be something that a nursing theory can impact, whether it solves the actual problem/issue or enables people affected by the problem/issue to deal with it. It is best if the problem/issue is from real life something the writer of the paper has dealt with or is currently engaged in.
Some examples (these are fictitious examples)
a. A nursing unit has experienced rapid turnover of professional staff, including several nurse managers. A new nurse manager from outside of the nursing unit is appointed.
b. Informatics nurse specialists face a lot of resistance from all healthcare professionals to implementation of a computer-based order entry program. The implementation date will not be changed.
c. A nurse educator is assigned to take over a large class of undergraduate nursing students, with a mix of young adults and adults returning for a second degree. The subject is difficult, students have not been doing well, and frustration and tempers are impeding group work.
d. A health-policy nurse specialist works for a consulting firm that lobbies on behalf of many healthcare professions. Within the specialists work unit, there is much debate over the pros and cons of various policies being proposed for attention in the coming year.
3. Applying concepts and principles from the selected theory, one strategy for resolving the identified issue is described in depth. Details on how the theory would be applied are included (consider: who, what, when, where, and how). Rationales for the strategy as well as evidence from scholarly literature are included. One ethical and/or legal aspect of the strategy is discussed. Expected outcome(s) from implementing the strategy are proposed.
4. Concluding statements include new knowledge about applying nursing theory gained by writing the paper
Format and Special Instructions
1. Paper length: 6 pages minimum; 8 pages maximum, excluding title page and reference page. Points will be deducted for not meeting these requirements.
2. The textbook required for this course may not be used as a reference for this assignment.
3. A minimum of 3 scholarly references are used. References must be current no older than 5 years, unless a valid rationale is provided. Consult with the course instructor about using an older source.
4. Title page, body of paper, and reference page(s) must be in APA format as presented in the 6th edition of the manual
5. Ideas and information from readings and other sources must be cited and cited correctly.
6. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and citations are consistent with formal academic writing as presented in the 6th edition of the APA manual
Directions and Grading Criteria
Category Points % Description
Introduction 60 19 Introduction to the paper includes all of the following:
• General statements on the idea of nursing theory being applied to solve problems/ issues in nursing practice, regardless of the specialty area of practice.
• A brief one-paragraph summary of a specific nursing theory
• Information on the sections of the paper
Problem/ Issue 85 26 The problem/issue is substantively discussed.
The problem is clearly in nursing leadership, nursing education, nursing informatics, or health policy.
Scholarly evidence supporting the issue is included.
Strategy 100 30 All of the following are present:
• One strategy for resolving the identified issue is discussed substantively
• Concepts and principles from the selected nursing theory are clearly applied
• Rationale(s) for the strategy are evident
• Evidence from the scholarly literature supports the discussion
• At least one ethical and/or legal aspect of the strategy is discussed.
Conclusion 40 13 Concluding paragraph(s) clearly show new knowledge about applying nursing theory gained from writing this paper
Paper Requirements 10 3 All of the following requirements are met:
Paper meets length requirements
Minimum of 3 scholarly references
Textbook not used as a reference
References are current within a 5-year time frame unless a valid rationale is provided for use of older references
APA Format 10 3 Title page, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section or topic of the paper.
Citations in Text 10 3 Ideas and information that come from readings must be cited and referenced correctly.
Writing Mechanics 10 3 Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal written work as found in the 6th edition of the APA manual.
Total 325 100
A quality assignment will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.