Leveraging Power from BATNA
Review the Learning Exercise: Unhappy Co-Owners and address the following:
1. Assuming your Best Alternative to a Negotiating Agreement (BATNA) is letting a court sell the property, discuss how it may help you reach an agreement. Recommend other strategies that you could use to accomplish a successful negotiation.
2. Discuss your power sources and your co-owner’s power sources in this negotiation, and analyze how you can strengthen your power position.
3. Propose a logical and an emotional argument to persuade your co-owner to agree to a deal.
4. Describe a nonverbal communication technique that you will use to persuade your co-owner that your proposal is a win-win proposition.
5. Describe a threat you can make that would force your co-owner to make concessions.