For this assignment, type your answers in MS Word (.doc or .docx) format and submit them electronically to the DR 2 Discussion Board (due Monday of Week 3).
Answer Review Questions 1–4 on p.90
Answer Review Questions 1–4 on p.115
ON CULTURE: As you review how cultures differ from one another, imagine that you want to develop a flexible and mobile work force that is not con- trolled by a given culture, but which could easily relocate to countries with a variety of different cultures. You want people who can easily and effectively fit in so as to be accepted by employees and customers. In your opinion, what are some of the barriers or issues that you would encounter, and how might you achieve your objective?
2. Compare PengAtlas Map 1.4 (Religious Heritage) and Map 1.5 (Education Levels Around the World). Which do you think has a more powerful effect in both the cultural and economic realm? Why? If your answer is “Both of the above,” is one of the two a bit more powerful in creating a unified culture, and one more powerful in creating a dynamic economy? Explain your answer.
3. Compare PengAtlas Map 3.2 (Top Reformers) with Maps 1.4 and 1.5. Are there any relationships between reformers and religious heritage? Why or why not? If there are any relationships, are they causal or coincidental? Any rela- tionship between reformers and educational level? Why or why not? If there are any relationships, are they causal or coincidental? Defend your answer.
4. ON CULTURE: Suppose the education system of a given country teaches val- ues that can make it very difficult to do business profitably in the country. Is that an impossible barrier, or is there anything that can be done to change that or cope with it? Defend your answer.
5. Non-verbal communication (e.g., tone of voice, gestures, facial expressions) can be important in all cultures, but would it be more important in a high- context or low-context culture? Why?
6. What are the pros and cons of doing business in a culture characterized as individualistic?
7. What are the pros and cons of doing business in a culture characterized as collectivist?
8. Some countries have a long tradition of bribery for public officials. Is it “ethical imperialism” to prohibit companies headquartered in one’s own country from engaging in bribery when doing business in countries with such traditions?
9. Why is the fight against corruption a long-term battle?
10. Does corruption always only involve money? If not, what else may be involved?
1. Describe at least three types of tangible and intangible resources and capabilities.
2. In the text, are human resources used as an example of tangible or intangible resources? Do you agree with that classification? Why or why not?
3. What is meant by “commoditization”?
4. When analyzing a value chain with a VRIO framework, what is the most important question to begin with and why?
5. Show how the rarity of capabilities is an advantage for both a firm and a job seeker.
6. What is the difference between outsourcing and captive sourcing?
7. How can SWOT analysis be used in value chain analysis? Use an example to support your answer.
8. Which is more difficult: imitating a rival’s tangible resources or its intangible resources?
9. How do complementary assets and social complexity influence a firm’s organization?
10. If a firm is successful domestically, is it likely to be successful internationally? Why or why not?
11. After reviewing the arguments for and against offshoring, state your opinion on this issue.
12. ON CULTURE: How can differences in values and traditions affect the success of offshoring?
13. Identify a developed country on PengAtlas Map 1.1, and explain why it may be the location of offshoring from a firm in an emerging economy.
14. What is one common mistake that managers often make when evaluating their firm’s capabilities?
15. What is the likely result of relentless imitation or benchmarking?
16. Why is it a good idea for the VRIO framework to focus on future competition?
17. Check Map 1.1, and imagine that your firm is headquartered in a devel- oped country. Pick an emerging economy that your firm may enter. Explain what resources and capabilities your firm has that may enable it to succeed in this new market.