HIS 104 Ashford University. HIS 104 Ashford University.
I’m studying and need help with a History question to help me learn.
Write a two- to three-page paper discussing the origins and outcome of the Opium Wars between Britain and China, discussing all of the following items:
- Explain the expansion of European imperialism in Asia and why it led to the British importing opium to China.
- Evaluate the origins of the Opium Wars from both Chinese and British viewpoints, and incorporate a well-defined argument of which country had a more valid claim.
- Analyze the consequences of the Treaty of Nanjing.
- Explain some of the lessons that we can take from the history of the Opium Wars.
The paper must
- Be two to three pages in length, not including title and reference pages.
- Be formatted according to APA style.
- Start with an introduction and provide a thesis statement.
- Contain at least one quote from the treaty of Nanjing.
- Contain one quote from one of the other sources listed.
- Cite sources in text and on the reference page.
Please use the following four sources and include them in your paper using citations when referred to. You may also add other scholarly secondary sources from the library.
First, in order to gain a better understanding of the Opium Wars, listen to the following radio program and review the following multimedia essay.
- The Opium Wars (Links to an external site.)
- The First Opium War: The Anglo-Chinese War of 1839 – 1842 (Links to an external site.)
Second, to undertake the research for this assignment, review the following treaty (primary source) and read the following newspaper article.
- Excerpts from the treaty of Nanjing, August 1842 (Links to an external site.)
- Field of dreams: A Remarkable Exhibition Sheds New Light on the Dark History of the Opium Business (Links to an external site.)
For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, and for using scholarly and primary sources, visit the Ashford University Writing Center’s Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.) resource.
The Opium War paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must provide a thesis statement.
- Must contain at least one quote from the Treaty of Nanjing
- Must cite any information used from the four required and any additional scholarly sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specification.