Recent environmental disasters have significantly impacted the human population in multiple ways. In this assignment, you will identify a recent environmental disaster and discuss potential correlated health impacts.
Begin this assignment by identifying one recent example of an environmental disaster. For example, the BP oil spill or the earthquakes in Haiti or Japan.
Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online resources, and the Internet, write a research paper including the following:
- Provide a description of the environmental event/disaster you have identified. Include the following points:
- Consider if the event was caused by humans or natural.
- Examine the direct and indirect impact on immediate- and long-term public health.
- Identify data regarding mortality and/or morbidity outcomes, if available.
- Explain the geographical impact with respect to health. Also consider the number of lives lost, environmental damage, economic fallout, and long-term repercussions or impact.
- Examine the research on the likelihood of this event recurring.
- Identify and describe the immediate- and long-term emergency response plans and efforts to the disaster you have selected. Be sure to identify which groups, organizations, and/or governments led or are leading the response efforts and the various players who participated or are participating in this response.
- Examine the lessons learned from previous responses to similar disasters. List at least three recommendations for protecting public health from a recurrence and/or the aftermath of similar disasters in the future.
Be sure to use a minimum of four external, peer-reviewed journal articles or reliable Internet resources.
Write a 3–4-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, March 6, 2013, deliver your assignment to the M3: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
Grading Criteria and Rubric
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Description of the recent environmental event/disaster.||
|Emergency response plans and recovery efforts.||
|Recommendations for the future.||
Usage and Mechanics (12)
APA Elements (16)