The minimum word count for each reply is 50 words. Give feedback with the following in mind:
Does your classmate have a strong research problem?
Is the question focused? Is the question too broad? Is the research question open-ended or a yes or no question?
How well did they form the hypothesis and/or null hypothesis? Give some hints for improvement (if needed).
Do they have a clear selection of keywords? Give some hints for improvement (if needed).
Is the post missing any of the above requirements, specify which one?
How well does the project’s methodology align with the described research question/problem? Give some hints for improvement (if needed).
Are there any pitfalls to be aware of? If so, what might they be?
1) My new, revised, and more specific research question that I’ve decided to use is as followed: In patient’s diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), what effects does wearing/not wearing continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP) machine have hospitalization rate due to respiratory failure?
2) My hypothesis is that patient’s who have been diagnosed with OSA and who are compliant with their CPAP/BiPAP machines are less likely to go into respiratory failure then the patient’s who are not, therefor, decreasing the hospitalization rate for this patient population.
3) My null hypothesis is patient’s who have been diagnosed with OSA and are compliant with their CPAP/BiPAP machine has no effect on hospitalization rates.
4) Key words that I will use to help find proper literature for my research question are obstructive sleep apnea, compliance/noncompliance, hospitalization rates, respiratory failure, continuous positive airway pressure, and bilevel positive airway pressure.
5) To conduct this study, I would put together a large group of patient’s who have all been diagnosed with OSA and track their hospitalizations for approximately 2-years. Tracking their machine run-time hours on their machine will help determine if they are being complaint with their CPAP/BiPAP. Some will admit noncompliance, but having a more definitive tracker on the machines would help solidify the data. I would be able to determine how many patient’s were hospitalized and whether they were complaint or not, and see what effects each side (complaint and noncompliant) has on hospitalization rates. I chose this study because it is something I have speculated on my whole career. While I have witnessed many hospitalizations because of respiratory failure due to noncompliance with CPAP/BiPAPs, I would like to further my knowledge on the topic based on research.